Wednesday, April 7, 2010

talk about 'yer all-time backfires!

 
 


This is my sweet baby. Sometimes she's a frog, sometimes she's sleeping beauty. She's destined to be something great.

Yesterday I tried "the marshmallow test" on my two children. (you know the famous test where a grown up gives a child a choice between getting one marshmallow now or getting two marshmallows later? And they almost all choose "now". But the ones who choose "later" grow up to be disciplined and successful. And rich and beautiful. Or something. I don't remember. But it's impressive.)

So. Instead of marshmallows, I offered Trader Joes cookies. One now, or two after nap. Annika wondered, "Can I have one now and then one after nap?"
I was obligated to respond, "No. One now, or two later. What do you pick?"
Annika says, "Two later." and walks into the living room. I look around the corner at Eric to discover his choice. The boy is finishing the last bite of his cookie.
I guess he chose "one now. as in RIGHT NOW!" Oh dear. So much for delayed gratification.

But that's not all! During nap time, CJ came home for 30 seconds in between work and class. What did he grab for his snack? That's right. The entire box of Trader Joe's Cookies. So after nap, Annika runs to redeem her prize...and gets NOTHING!! What have I done??! What have I taught my sweet baby?

"Delayed gratification is for CHUMPS, Annika. Get what you can as soon as you can get it."
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Next time you go to trader joes, annika should get to eat as many cookies as she can on the way home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! because then I won't eat them!! they are so tempting!!
    I must tell two more facts: 1. CJ obviously didn't know what he was doing...there were only four cookies left.
    2. My mom brought Annika a new box of cookies on Wednesday and Annika happily ate her 2 cookies.

    ReplyDelete